Reduce Bruising and Swelling
- Apply ice over the affecting area (off and on) for 24-48 hours. Apply ice for only 15 minutes at a time with something covering the ice such as a hand towel.
- Make sure to relieve the affected area by resting it
- Elevate the affected area, if possible
- Treat symptoms with over-the-counter drugs such as: acetaminophen (Tylenol), or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Alleve)
- There is no risk of infection unless skin is punctured
- Bruises are usually tender and red and can be painful
- Coloration appears reddish and later will turn bluish purple within hours and after will turn yellow or green.
Call a Doctor
- If bruise swells or there is extreme pain
- If the patient is taking blood-thinning medication
- Bruised face or head
- Bruising for no reason
- Unable to move joint
- If a broken or fractured bone occurred